Two Teams Emerge as One

My ice hockey career started when I was only 4 years old, but considering that I do not have an interest in playing in college, I knew these next four years were the last few years that I would be able to enjoy my passion. Once I found out that I got into Conrad during my 8th grade year, I knew I had to take action. My parents and I were able to get into contact with the principal, Mr. Pruitt, who seemed very excited about the idea when we first brought it to him. My mom would come into school during the lunches to build interest to this new sport at Conrad. We did receive signatures from the few days that she attended, but in the end, we knew that we were most likely going to have to pair with another school in order to get enough players for a team. Mr Pruitt not only helped us obtain some state funding for the program, but he also helped us find a fellow school in need of players.  

Luckily for us, A.I. DuPont, a fellow Red Clay Consolidated school, had a large majority of their team graduating in 2013. After enough conversation, A.I. finally agreed to team with us, marking the beginning of Conrad ice hockey. After discussion, both teams came to the conclusion to use A.I.’s uniform since they were already designed and made. We continue to use the Tiger as our mascot, but our team’s official name is A.I./Conrad Tigers, instead of just the A.I. tigers. This way, Conrad gets some of the recognition that it deserves. The coach from the 2013 team ended up retiring anyway, so a parent from a student at AI stepped up to the plate. His name is Coach Brian Sheftz and he still coaches till this day, even though his son, Trevor, graduated last year.

In the end everything worked out the way that it should for everyone. I got to go to the school that I wanted, while still being able to play the sport that I love. Other kids from Conrad now have an option to play, and A.I. was still able to have a team for the 2013-2014 season. The team stays strong until this day, and as my senior season comes to an end, I can look back at the legacy that I created.