• Food Drive- 5,400 Cans Collected!!

• FREE Dress Down Days: 12/19, 12/20, 12/21

• SCHOOL CLOSED- Winter Break: 12/21 - 1/2

Migrant Caravan

NY Times

Leslie Tovar-Garcia, Staff

Thousands of immigrants coming from Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador are making their way through Mexico in pursuit of making it to the United States.
They’re trying to make it here in order to escape, poverty, violence and persecution in their own countries. By far, the largest group of refugees in recent memory are making this yearly 2,500 mile journey to attempt to seek asylum in the U.S.

Although this is an annual protest, this year has gotten a lot of publicity. It’s especially gotten the attention of U.S president Donald Trump, which took to Twitter to say “Sadly, it looks like Mexico’s Police and Military are unable to stop the Caravan heading to the Southern Border of the United States. Criminals and unknown Middle Easterners are mixed in. I have alerted Border Patrol and Military that this is a National Emergency. Must change laws!” he also used his platform to speak on the refugees describing
them as “stone cold criminals”. The security at the borders has also gotten more intense with Trump’s constant tracking of the caravan. According to him, the migrant caravan is a threat to the U.S, where something to be something done to stop them, like building a wall and sending more troops. This in turn, would intensify the security of the borders.

With the majority of the people coming from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador, where homicide rates and murders are extremely high, this makes them some of the most dangerous countries in Central America. Street gangs known as “maras” are also ubiquitous and they prey on small business owners and families through extortion or other means. 
As of now, the caravan is located in Tijuana, Mexico, where they are being provided food and shelter. Whether it will be done legally or illegally, their goal is to cross into the United States for better opportunities and a better life for them and their children.
Leslie Tovar-Garcia, Staff

Hi, my name is Leslie Tovar and I am a junior here at Conrad. I have been at Conrad since the sixth grade. I am apart of the nursing program with hopes...