In Remembrance of George H.W. Bush

Back to Article
Back to Article

In Remembrance of George H.W. Bush

Shomudro Gupta, Staff

On December 5th, 2018, George H.W. Bush passed away at the age of 94 in Houston, Texas. He was laid to rest near his Presidential Library on the campus of Texas A&M University.  

George H.W. Bush was born on June 12th, 1924 to parents Prescott Bush and Dorothy Walker in Milton, Massachusetts. Bush attended Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts. Six months after the United States formally entered WWII (after the Pearl Harbor attacks), Bush immediately went to serve in the Navy after his graduation. After the war, he was honorably discharged, going to Yale University with an undergraduate degree in economics through an accelerated two-year program. After joining Delta Kappa Epsilon and captaining the Yale Baseball Team, he graduated from Yale with a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics. Through Prescott Bush’s connections, George went into the oil business, serving in various positions at various firms. Through a highly storied career in the House of Representatives, a U.S. Ambassador, the 11th Director of the CIA all the way to his presidency, Bush made a legacy for himself as an everyday man, a jack-of-all-trades in terms of politics. Bush is best known as the 41st President of the United States and, in particular ,working with Mikhail Gorbachev to reform and recover Russia after the dissolve of the Soviet Union.

George H.W. Bush is survived by five children and multiple grandchildren: Former President George W. Bush, John Ellis “Jeb” Bush, Neil Mallon Bush, Marvin Pierce Bush, Dorothy Bush Koch (children), Barbara Pierce Bush, Jenna Bush Hager (from George W. Bush),  Lauren Bush, Pierce Bush and Ashley Bush (from Neil Mallon Bush), Charles Walker Bush and Marshall Bush (from Marvin Pierce Bush), Sam LeBlond, Ellie LeBlond, Gigi Koch and Robert Koch (from Dorothy Bush Koch) (grandchildren).