Newark Law Targets “Super Parties”

Via+Narconon
Back to Article
Back to Article

Newark Law Targets “Super Parties”

Via Narconon

Via Narconon

Via Narconon

Via Narconon

Leslie Tovar, Staff

On March 11, the Newark City Council passed Bill 19-05, also known as the “Unruly Social Gathering Ordinance.” The Newark City council passed this law targeting the “super parties” at the University of Delaware. The law was passed unanimously and will be enforced immediately. It has mixed up a lot of controversy regarding the residents and neighbors of those students who live off campus that host these wild parties. Police describe these massive parties to qualify as an “unruly social gathering” and that they threaten “health, safety, and good and quiet order.” Under the new law, first-time offenders are required to pay $500 and complete 20 hours of community service. The penalties increase with each offense: $1,000 and 32 hours for a second offense, $1,500 and 48 hours for a 3rd offense and $2,000 and 60 hours for each subsequent offense.

Some students have concerns that the police will shut down smaller parties along with the big ones. University of Delaware student,  Ryan Yohn, 20, a junior accounting and management information systems major said “I don’t think that the police would necessarily target small groups, but the fact that they have the ability to is concerning.” In 2018 UD was named No. 1 on the New York company’s list of the Top Party Schools in America. In regards to this some students have also made comments of transferring schools because of the new law, stating  that it will ruin The University of Delaware’s “rich history” of partying.

Many students have also spoken out about the numerous sexual assault cases and suicides that occur on campus, and are outraged that action has not taken place on much more serious topics. A former Conrad student recently tweeted out “City of Newark was so quick to make a decision about University of Delaware being a no.1 party school but its crickets when it comes to addressing sexual assault and suicide.” Many people want the law to be changed and are protesting Newark’s “super party” rule. 12,000 people protested and signed a petition that was started by a student.