Colorado Shooting

Kendrick Castillo was killed while trying to stop one of the assailants during a shooting at his school in Highlands Ranch, Colorado.

Kathryn Dykes, Staff

Highland Ranch, Colorado. — Last month, as the 20th anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting approached, STEM School Highlands Ranch joined hundreds of schools near Denver in closing temporarily for security concerns. The anniversary came and went, and schools returned to their normal routines. But on May 7th, a Tuesday afternoon, the STEM school’s worst fears came true when a gunman entered the school leaving eight students shot and one dead. It was three days before the last day of school, and the students inside Ms. Harper’s English classroom were spending their last period of the day watching “The Princess Bride” when one of their classmates walked in late and pulled out a gun.“The only thing he said out loud to the students was, ‘Don’t you move.’” said Nui Giasolli, an 18-year-old senior who was in the class at the time. Students then recall Kendrick Castillo, a senior who was graduating in three days lunge to stop the gunman and was shot dead. Two other students took action and because of these three heroes, students at Highland Ranch high school are alive today.