• 4/25- 4/28 Kindness Week
  • 4/10 No School/Grading Day
  • 4/9 Marking Period 3 Ends
  • 3/29-4/5 Spring Break
  • 3/25 Biotech Fair

100 New Coffins Discovered in Egypt

100 New Coffins Discovered in Egypt

On January 26th, 2021,  100 coffins were found in the burial ground of Saqqara, near Egypt’s capital Cairo. The coffins were showcased and at least one of the coffins had a mummy in perfect condition. Mostafa Waziri is Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiques. He says that, “This discovery is number one because of the number of coffins we found. We are talking about more than 100 coffins which is something really important. ” Waziri also says that the standard of living is high-rank people. which meant that the mummies discovered were apart of the rich/wealthy class of Egypt before they died. The coffins were sealed and buried over 2,500 years ago and they are still known to be in “mint” condition. 

Along with the coffins, Archeologists found 40 gilt statues, golden masks on the mummies, and precious amulets which shows that they were rich and in a wealthy families.  An excavated mummy was opened and x-rayed to try and find out the age the mummy was when the person died and the gender too. Waziri hat told few reporters that the mummy was a male between 5”4 inches and 5”7 inches tall, who was in good health during his life and most likely died between the age of 40 and 45 years old. The coffins will now be transferred to different museums in Egypt.