Black History Month 2022

Black History Month 2022

Black History is an annual celebration of the accomplishments of African Americans. Since 1976, every U.S. president has officially designated the month of February as Black History Month. Other countries around the world, including Canada and the United Kingdom, also devote a month to celebrating Black history. 

The original story of Black History Month starts back in 1915, half a century after the Thirteen Amendment abolished slavery in the united states. Carter G. Woodson, the “founder” of black history month, was heading for the 50th anniversary of the emancipation in Chicago. Before he left home, he helped found the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History (ASNLH). A year later, Woodson singlehandedly launched the Journal of Negro History, which was circulated throughout the U.S. in which he and other researchers brought attention to the achievements of Black Americans.

Woodson believed that young African Americans in the early 20th century were not being taught enough of their own heritage, and the accomplishments of their ancestors. In February 1926, Woodson announced the first Negro History Week. He chose February because the month contained the birthdays of both Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass, two prominent men whose historic achievements were  already celebrated by African Americans. Lincoln’s birthday was February 12; Douglass, who was formerly enslaved, hadn’t known his actual birthday, but had marked the occasion on February 14.

Even though February is a short month, take a moment to remember and celebrate the African Americans who helped found and create the America we live in today.

View Comments (1)