We Need Gun Control

We Need Gun Control

I want you to be concerned! I want you to be concerned about the people who are able to go into their local gun stores and buy military-grade weapons. Why aren’t more people mad about this? Just in 2020 this past year there were 578 mass shootings, just in America. Gun control and taking away guns are two completely different situations. Gun control isn’t going to take away your 2nd amendment rights. Gun control enforces the 2nd amendment, however, it makes buying guns harder to keep Americans safe. The current gun regulations are a joke!  You have to be 18 to be able to own shotguns, rifles, and purchase ammunition. For all firearms like handguns, you have to be 21 or older. So tell me why, when Nikolas Cruz was 19 years old, he was able to buy a Smith & Wesson M&P15 semi-automatic rifle. He then went to his old high school, Stoneman Douglas, and shot 17 classmates and faculty members. The most shocking part of this unfortunate event is that it occurred in 2017, is that the same exact model that Nikolas Cruz used that is currently being sold at “Cabela’s” hunting and fishing store, making these rapid fire, military grade weapons widely available and easy to access for public purchase. Not to mention the recent school shooting in Michigan. This is unacceptable! As public officials you have responsibilities. You must create laws that prevent guns from falling into the hands of those that are mentally ill, dangerous, and underage. Gun control is an important issue in America, and we need to take it as seriously as the right to life and liberty. We need tighter regulations on guns, like higher age limits, mental health evaluations, and limited guns that are available to the general public. Yes, there is always going to be a risk of people buying guns illegally, but fixing gun regulations will be a start to stopping gun violence. So do something, get involved. We all have a voice, so use it. Make everyone’s lives safer.

View Comments (1)