• 4/25- 4/28 Kindness Week
  • 4/10 No School/Grading Day
  • 4/9 Marking Period 3 Ends
  • 3/29-4/5 Spring Break
  • 3/25 Biotech Fair

Ignored Truth on Abusive Teen Relationships

When it comes to abusive relationships, oftentimes the thought of teenagers being victims or even being the abuser is left out.  The reality is that as many as 76% of teenagers- ages 13-18 have reported that they’ve faced psychological, emotional, and physical abuse at any point in their relationship according to youth.gov.  This can be shown to be prevalent in even teen homicide cases.  Back on October 2, 2020, Madison Sparrow, a 17 year old Delaware resident was reported missing.  Days later her body was found and the main suspect was her ex-boyfriend (who has since been charged and found guilty of the murder) along with Sparrow’s friend.  But this isn’t the only case, many relationships such as the death of Emma Walker on November 21, 2016 (Walker was shot in her home by her ex-boyfriend Riley Gaul) are so similar in circumstances.  The awareness isn’t there because many teenage relationships aren’t considered real, just a fling.  Abusive relationships are not something to disregard, regardless of age, and they should all be treated the same.  If anyone you know, or yourself is in the same situation you can reach out to the Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-7233.