No Turkey On Thanksgiving?

Having turkey on Thanksgiving is without a doubt one of the most symbolic activities of the holiday. People may go out of their way to make sure that they have a turkey for dinner. Grocery stores are stocked up weeks before Thanksgiving, giving customers plenty of time to purchase a turkey for themselves. Although turkey is a significant part of this holiday, is turkey really safe to eat? Food guides state that there are many pathogens associated with turkey, including salmonella, clostridium perfringens, and campylobacter. These pathogens can cause fever, stomach cramps, and diarrhea which can last a few hours to even days. It can also cause fatalities. But, natural or organic turkey isn’t the only thing that can cause these certain symptoms. Processed turkey may be even worse, by linking directly to increased colorectal and stomach cancer risks as well as heart disease. Besides the increased cancer risk, processed meat can also carry E. coli which is a very well-known bacteria that is harmful to the human body, having this in your system can ultimately result in health risks.  

Although turkey has downsides, it can make for a useful inclusion to support thyroid function, immunity, bone health, and energy production that is, if it is cooked properly. The darker cuts of meat, like the leg or thigh, tend to be richer in certain minerals such as iron. So this Thanksgiving, be careful about the turkey you pick… Happy Holidays!