• 4/25- 4/28 Kindness Week
  • 4/10 No School/Grading Day
  • 4/9 Marking Period 3 Ends
  • 3/29-4/5 Spring Break
  • 3/25 Biotech Fair

Gun Violence

Gun+Violence
    Paul Becker (contact: pbecker1@udayton.edu)

One of the most challenging things for America is to control gun violence. No matter where you live, there is always going to be violence. However the worst kind is violence impacts  our population as a whole. In 2021, more Americans died of gun-related injuries than in any other year on record, and more than 600 people die each day as a result of firearms. Yet, America fails to stop the number of people who bear arms for no reason. As of this day, federal law does not limit the number of guns a person may buy or own at any given time. In fact, in New Hampshire, any citizen over the age of 18 is allowed to possess a firearm and can open and conceal carry.

Many Americans try to say that the Second Amendment entitle them to carry firearms. However, what most people don’t understand is that the Second Amendment does say citizens have the right to bear arms to defend themselves against unlawful violence but that does not justify using the right to bear arms for any reason such as robbing a house or shooting an innocent person for self-benefit. In all, gun control is not against the Constitution and citizens of the United States should only own a gun with an official license knowing they will only use the weapon if they should be attacked or for self-defense, NOT to shoot someone for not agreeing with them. America needs to take more control over these types of situations because young children think that it is okay to go around and do those things. Putting that type of influence upon the younger generation only shows how unsafe and ‘free-minded’ the U.S. is and having that image does not look good, especially in one of the biggest nations in the world.

Gun violence can be considered a Public Health Issue and should be put in check. I suggest more security options when purchasing or getting a license because not having these types of protections can increase extreme risks for people in every state, and we already have seen the outcomes of when things may get out of control. Stay safe everyone.