Turn That Frown Upside Down

Back to Article
Back to Article

Turn That Frown Upside Down

Nicole Leggio, Staff

Ever feeling down? In today’s world depression has become an epidemic. Rumors fly of fellow students attempted suicides or those who’ve already taken the step. We are raised in a nihilistic age with a common exception of death. That combined with the exceedingly stressful lives with nonstop activity can lead to depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues that are now becoming common. I am no scientist or psychologist and these are just the speculations of a high school student trying to write an article for the school newspaper, but it is an idea that should be thought about. How can we combat this epidemic? I believe there are a few things many of us students can do.

1. Enjoy the little things.

With so many things constantly happening in our lives we tends to get lost in it all. Try to notice the little things. A butterfly in the wind, a joke that made your whole class laugh, having a sharpened pencil for class, maybe even just one time another students smiled at you in the hall. Things as a whole might suck right now but there is always the little things to look forward too.

1. Laughter is the best medicine

This common phrase can be true. If someone can make you laugh, or you can make someone else laugh it could make all the difference.

1. Take a breather

Sometimes in our ever changing, ever moving life it’s good to just take a breath. Meditation can be a great way to do this. If that’s not your interest however try just taking ten minutes before going to bed, or five minutes between classes. Take a deep breath and try to empty your mind.

1. Get enough sleep

We tend not to ever get enough sleep. Stay up all night cramming for a test or just playing on your phone might be normal for you, but getting at least seven hours might just make the difference.