Phillies With Big Series Against Miami

Phillies With Big Series Against Miami

Coming off of a surprise World Series run last year, The Philadelphia Phillies are looking to live up to their new found expectations and return to the postseason. Although it would seem that their division rival Atlanta Braves are surely running away with the NL East, the Phillies do currently lead the National League wild card with a current record of 76-62. Another team that has been very competitive in the NL wild card race has been the Miami Marlins, who current sit at a record of 71-67. Miami is another division rival to the Phillies, and given the similarity of record, a series between these two teams this late in the season is one that should catch the eyes of fans. On Friday, September 8th, the series kicks off with a 7:05 match in Philadelphia. 

Both teams are currently in a series with an NL West team, Phillies against the San Diego Padres, and Marlins with the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Phillies were able to win the series opener in San Diego with a high scoring 9-7 victory, but lost the following night in shut-out fashion by a score of 0-8. With the series finale tonight, Philadelphia is looking to end the road series on a high note with a win, and use it as momentum into the all-important Miami series. Meanwhile, the Marlins were also able to win their series opener against the Dodgers, with two games left before they go back on the road. If they sweep the Los Angeles Dodgers, who currently hold the 2nd best record in the NL, that would surely change the tide in the wild card, leaving the Phillies in a dangerous spot. 

By the time this all important series starts, the phillies will be coming off of two rough series, with the Milwuakee Brewers and the San Diego Padres. Philadelphia has a 5-5 season record against Miami this year, so there’s no telling how this one will turn out. Many different variabilities can come into play, such as Trea Turner’s abrupt paternity leave, players like Bryce Harper and Bryson Stott going into sudden slumps, and the ever-present possibility of injury. With the NL wild card heating up, this important series with Miami is a great way for thr Philadelphia Phillies to regain control of their competition and enter the postseason as an early favorite.