• 5/3 No School/Teacher Inservice Day
  • 5/26-5/30 Disney Trip
  • 6/7 Student Last Day
  • 6/1 Conrad Graduation
  • 5/31 Graduation Rehearsal/Senior Picnic
  • 5/24 Senior Last Day
  • 5/6-5/17 AP Testing
  • 5/9-5/24 Senior Speeches
  • 5/27 No School/Memorial Day

ACLU of Delaware Files Lawsuit Over Wilmington Police Department Over Harmful Practices

The ACLU of Delaware has filed a lawsuit over the WPD claiming that WPD police officers violated constitutional rights and implemented harmful policing practices against citizens.

The lawsuit claims that the officers violated Amendments 4 and 14, claiming that the officers implemented unreasonable stops and searches, arrests, and racially biased policing. The claims are based on residents from Wilmington claiming that the officers unlawfully entered homes without permission, used excessive force, and searched their homes without a warrant, violating the 4th amendment. 

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of those represented by the case, along with those whom the NAACP of Delaware also represented. 

Dwayne Bensing, the ACLU legal representative, said this in a quote.This thought that the police can just invade any person’s home at any time without a warrant is not constitutional and justifiable,”

Bensing also says that the tactics used by WPD do not commit to public safety, but rather fear-mongering in individuals where police states are most present. 

However, Mayor Mike Purzycki opposed the statement by Bensing, claiming that WPD would do no such thing to bias those on race. “The claims made by the ACLU are offensive to me. The Wilmington Police Department makes it a practice to treat every person equally and with the utmost respect even under the very difficult circumstances they face each day as they serve and protect the community. The City does not engage in, promote, or tolerate any policies, practices, or customs that discriminate against any group or violate anyone’s rights. We will vigorously defend against this suit in court.”