• 5/3 No School/Teacher Inservice Day
  • 5/26-5/30 Disney Trip
  • 6/7 Student Last Day
  • 6/1 Conrad Graduation
  • 5/31 Graduation Rehearsal/Senior Picnic
  • 5/24 Senior Last Day
  • 5/6-5/17 AP Testing
  • 5/9-5/24 Senior Speeches
  • 5/27 No School/Memorial Day

100% Fruit Juice Associated with Weight Gain

A new study found that 100% fruit juice has been associated with weight gain in children and adults.

The study found that drinking 100% fruit juice, which contains added sugar, accounted for a 0.03 increase in BMI in children, with the highest being in younger children compared to older children. The study also found that weight gain was prevalent in adults.

The study explains that weight gain was prevalent because juice contains liquid calories compared to solid calories in solid foods, such as oranges or pears. Liquid calories were shown to put on a more significant amount of weight than substantial calories, which have more fiber and satiety. Juice also makes you feel less full, putting on more liquid weight without adding nutritional value.

However, the CDC does not recommend cutting fruit juice entirely and says to limit it to prevent weight gain and obesity. Children 1-3 should have no more than 4 oz, 4-6 6 oz, and 7-18 8 oz. The CDC also recommends that if children are looking for a low-calorie drink with fruit flavor, adding a few drops of juice to sparking water will help give it that flavor without the necessary calories & weight gain.