• 5/3 No School/Teacher Inservice Day
  • 5/26-5/30 Disney Trip
  • 6/7 Student Last Day
  • 6/1 Conrad Graduation
  • 5/31 Graduation Rehearsal/Senior Picnic
  • 5/24 Senior Last Day
  • 5/6-5/17 AP Testing
  • 5/9-5/24 Senior Speeches
  • 5/27 No School/Memorial Day

Delaware State University Shooting

At 1:40 a.m. Sunday, gunshots were heard on the campus of Delaware State University. The 18-year-old woman who was shot has not been identified yet, but it is known that she wasn’t a registered student, as stated by the school president. The University canceled upcoming classes due to the manhunt. Students and the school president spoke out on the subject, “The young lady tragically killed was merely 18 years old,” they said. “Although she was not one of our students, she was a daughter, a beloved family member, and a friend; and senselessly, her life was cut short.” And lastly, “We should pray for better days and pray for the safety and well-being of our campus as a whole.” Everyone is feeling the pressure of losing the young woman, whose name has not yet been disclosed.

So many people have been talking about the uprise of criminal activity on campuses from before and after COVID-19. There were 38,303 reported criminal offenses at colleges and universities in 2022, which is the federal government’s latest data based on 5,783 institutions with 10,530 campuses. Everyone should work together to create a safe environment because “An event that affects the safety of one of us affects all of us. That means each of us is responsible for holding one another accountable, saying so when something does not seem, sound, or look right, and denying wrongdoing in all its forms, no matter the person or the circumstance.” States the University president. 

It is safe to say that classes are to resume on Tuesday of this week, and the University will hold a forum for students, staff, faculty, and parents. While the police will continue to look for leads and track down the shooter.