Who is Responsible for Keeping Our Food Safe?

What can happen when defective food is put on sale in multiple grocery stores and consumers are not sure that the protocol of testing the food is safe? Government programs and companies need to be responsible for keeping our food safe. 

In the documentary food inc., a young boy died of e coli poisoning because of a defective hamburger that a company put on sale for thousands of Americans. Not only did the company not know that their meat was defective, but they also didn’t put a recall out until 16 days after the young boy died. If a company is producing an item it is their responsibility to make sure that the product works or in this case isn’t infected with e-coli. Especially when the product the company is producing can give their consumers salmonella, e-coli, yersinia, and other bacteria. Protocols and testing need to be updated to reflect current food contamination issues.

I also believe this responsibility should not just be placed on the companies, the U.S Food and Drug Administration, also known as the FDA, as well. When recall of food products are reported the FDA needs to make sure to call the recalled items out of stores. FDA is a government organization, the government is responsible for keeping their citizens safe. So this makes it their responsibility too to keep our food safe.