• 5/3 No School/Teacher Inservice Day
  • 5/26-5/30 Disney Trip
  • 6/7 Student Last Day
  • 6/1 Conrad Graduation
  • 5/31 Graduation Rehearsal/Senior Picnic
  • 5/24 Senior Last Day
  • 5/6-5/17 AP Testing
  • 5/9-5/24 Senior Speeches
  • 5/27 No School/Memorial Day

The Mysterious Case of Senioritis

The Mysterious Case of Senioritis

Seniors. We’ve been there before, well, most of us anyway. They’re the ones that rule the school, right? But as one becomes a senior in the process of experiencing their last months of high school, one condition can occupy many seniors throughout their high school years: senioritis. What is it, and how can we overcome senioritis through transitioning from year 12 to college? I interviewed a few students & teachers across Conrad, and here’s what I’ve found. 

First, let’s get to the basics: What is senioritis? Senioritis is an informal name for high school or college seniors nearing the end of their high school or college years who have experienced significant burnout and decreased academic performance. Some symptoms include homework drowsiness, tardiness, staring into space, low grades, and incomplete assignments. Many seniors develop senioritis because they have anxiety over their future, whether it would pertain to college (high school) or adulthood (for college). With that, I asked a few students and teachers about senioritis and how to overcome the mysterious but chronic condition. 

“What is senioritis to you?”

“When we become a senior, we’re in senior mode, like we’re about to graduate the next day,” said Amber, one senior in the Nursing pathway. 

“You’re incapable of doing anything, and you lose motivation to work for school or in your personal life,” said Gilaajha, another senior in the Animal Science pathway. 

“You think you’re done with school, and you think there’s no point in trying,” said Eduardo, a senior in the Biotech pathway. 

Next, we asked some teachers how to overcome senioritis and what it means for teachers.

“Senioritis is when people check themselves out,” said Mrs. Crowe, the Health Science & Nursing teacher. “Keeping a calendar, enjoying things, and not rushing the moment help to overcome obstacles.” 

“You’re over your current situation. You’ve been here for so long you’re ready to move on,” said Dr. Prillaman, the Psychology & Sociology teacher. “Live in the moment.” 

“It’s academic fatigue. Students are sick and tired of being in a school setting, being told to sit at a desk, take notes, and having to listen to instructions. 18-year-olds don’t want to be told to use the bathroom, and that’s how bad the fatigue is,” said Mrs. Wisniewski, a high school English teacher teaching grades 9 and 12. “The only way to overcome it is to keep your eyes on the prize. Keep your eyes on your dreams, and know what you want to accomplish.” 

The students and teachers agreed on definitions of Senioirits and how to overcome those obstacles. While the intentions may vary to others, a standard meaning can be defined by all Seniors & their peers: it sucks.

But it doesn’t always have to! Staying on top of things, taking frequent breaks to prevent overload, and giving yourself constant motivation throughout the school year are great ways to keep on top of work and close out your final year with an A!

So exceed, Seniors! We’re proud of you!