• 5/3 No School/Teacher Inservice Day
  • 5/26-5/30 Disney Trip
  • 6/7 Student Last Day
  • 6/1 Conrad Graduation
  • 5/31 Graduation Rehearsal/Senior Picnic
  • 5/24 Senior Last Day
  • 5/6-5/17 AP Testing
  • 5/9-5/24 Senior Speeches
  • 5/27 No School/Memorial Day

Hawaii On Fire

On August 9, 2023, the Hawaiian Island of Maui endured raging fires and blazes that left severe destruction and displaced many residents of the island. As the tourism sector in Hawaii has currently surpassed that of its agricultural economy the redirectment of freshwater towards hotels and cities has left many agricultural farms abandoned and left to become flammable dried pastures. Among these farms, an aging powerline system caused concern as the risk of the pasture’s flammability increased with low-hanging wire systems. The island’s main power company, “Hawaii Electric”  did not seem too concerned about the issue and proceeded to dismiss it. As a category 4 hurricane passed a couple hundred miles from the island its winds started to knock down trees onto power lines which caused sparks, igniting the dry farmland underneath it. With the power of the hurricane’s winds, it allowed for the flames to be amplified and traverse rapidly along the island. The Maui Fire Department responded fast to the situation but quickly ran out of water so they made a request to the government to use water from the local reservoir. This request was delayed as the government was concerned about how the diversion of water would affect the existing farmers’ crops. After a longing of 5 hours as the fire continued to spread the government of the island allowed for the usage of reservoir water although for many it was a little too late with a death toll of 115 people.