• 8/29 All Students Report
  • August 28- First day of school for 6th and 9th graders
  • 6/7 Student Last Day
  • 6/1 Conrad Graduation

Plastic Waste In School

Every day you may see someone drinking out of a plastic bottle, or eating out of a plastic bag or wrapper. Although people may think that these are normal activities, they are very harmful to the environment, especially when these items are thrown onto the ground and mass-produced for schools and businesses. Although the problems that occur with plastic may not seem like a big deal to people if you recycle, it’s an even bigger problem than people may think it is. There is a chemical called styrene which is used to make latex, synthetic rubber, and polystyrene resins. The resins are used to make plastic packaging and disposable cups that everyone eats out of, and more. But what people don’t know, is that styrene is prone to leach into hot foods, which could potentially cause severe harm to all students or people who ingest anything held in these plastic bags or products. Because of this, the student’s health can be seriously jeopardized. Thankfully, there are ways to prevent this from happening. All that you can do is just simply STOP using plastic, or avoid plastics that cannot be recycled if other alternatives exist, you should also avoid products with excessive or unnecessary plastic packaging, which as said before can lead to absurd health issues. Over time, you may adapt to using more reusable items that can limit expenses and give a more satisfactory level, after all, the world is simple so decisions should be as well.